If there’s one thing we love, it’s starting the day right with a good, hearty breakfast. So we were really pleased to learn that Turkish breakfast is a filling and delicious affair.
Thanks to KAFTAN’S beautiful, bright indoor summer tent one can fully appreciate the Dubai summer sun in an exquisite outdoor secret garden setting. Kaftan’s summer tent is the perfect place to dine with your family and friends, as admiring the stunning views of the Burj Al Arab, get a fresh perspective and capture wonderful memories with your loved ones while indulging in some sumptuous traditional Turkish breakfast treats.
Turkish cuisine is fairly making a name for itself on the worldwide culinary platform. The combination of flavors and ingredients are blended together to form dishes historically influenced by a number of cultures mostly the continuance of Ottoman cuisine. It is the mixture and refinement of Central Asian, Middle Eastern and Balkan cuisines. Therefore it is impossible to fit Turkish cuisine into a short list.
Turkish breakfast is hands down the best meal of the day. Breakfast for Turkish people is not just a necessity, it’s a traditional family gathering, a sit-down affair with a line-up of tastes all its own that you start looking forward to the night before.
We were invited to a bloggers meet at Kaftan where we relished ourselves with some delightful appetizing 6 course breakfast spread in a beautiful backyard garden setting. The interior was well ornamented with modern décor, hanging rope lights, traditional lanterns and accents. The menu at KAFTAN has been kept authentic featuring Ottoman & Turkish cuisine.
The Turkish Breakfast Line-up
A classic Turkish breakfast, better known as ‘kahvaltı’ (kah-VAHL’-tuh) consists of fresh cheeses like feta and kashkaval, black and green olives, fresh-baked white bread, fruit preserves, honey, sweet butter and plenty of brewed black tea served in Turkish tea glasses.
We started off with their brewed tea; the table was set with plates and flatware. Foods was arranged elegantly no matter how modest the table. Keep in mind, Turkish breakfast is finest when shared, so don’t be afraid to order a variety of dishes to the table.
Bread – served with, or baked as, part of every meal as far as I can tell, and they offered several different types. Here we had a white crusty baguette, a whole meal soft baguette and – my favorite – a thin, focaccia-type bread topped with seeds and an egg wash. There was always too much for us to finish between us, but once you start using it to mop up the other dishes and eat it with spreads, you quickly start to see the bottom of the basket!
- Gurme Peynir Tabagi |55AED| – This was a beautiful platter of 4 types of cheeses along with some black grapes, dried figs, walnuts and apricots. What I loved especially about this was that they had a variety between cheese that are highly strong in flavour and cheese that is more on the milder side. I am not so big on cheese, so I loved the milder one such as the sweet shredded cheese. You have to pair these with fruits as they taste way better then.
View this post on Instagram
Indulge in some of the most authentic Turkish dishes, such as the highly popular breakfast choice; “Bal & Kaymak” an organic bee honeycomb from the high mountains of Kars served with thick and fresh dairy cream; with breakfast being served daily until 6pm. You have no excuse to miss this generations old delicacy @kaftanrestaurant whilst admiring the stunning views of the Burj Al Arab, inside Kaftan’s summer tent❣️#Dxbmuncher
- Bal Kaymak – The highly popular breakfast choice; “Bal & Kaymak” an organic bee honeycomb from the high mountains of Kars served with thick and fresh dairy cream. This particular dish is extremely addictive and delicious. Kaymak is basically clotted cream, most always served with honey, and when the two are spread together on soft fresh bread, it is heavenly.
The best and most traditional kaymak is made from the milk of water buffalo, but it also can be made from cow, sheep or goat’s milk. The honey, which should always be top quality, gives it sweetness and the kaymak is the creamiest, dreamiest thing you will ever spread on a piece of bread. If anyone in the UK has eaten a fresh scone with clotted cream and jam, then that will go some way to imagining how delicious this is.
From the Chefs Specials,
- Sefin Simiti |35 AED| – A circular, sesame seed-coated bread has been baked with Sunnyside eggs & Turkish 100% beef soudjouk in center.
- Kaymakli domatoes |35 AED| – Organic Turkish Dairy cream sautéed with tomatoes & capsicums.
- Peynirli Kol Boregi |40 AED| – Homemade traditional Turkish flaky dough filled with white cheese & finely chopped parsley. This flaky phyllo pie makes for a quick breakfast or unbeatable snack for those not wanting to linger too long at an overflowing table.
- Kasap Sucuk Izgara |40 AED| – This dish was home made with 100% beef Turkish Soudjouk. These were served in a skillet. The meat was soft and almost melted in the mouth.
- Tahinli Ekmek |25 AED| – Home made and baked Turkish bread, made of sough layers with tahini, topped with tahini, organic honey and organic cane sugar crystals.
- Menemen |35 AED|– At first glance you may think you’ve ordered scrambled eggs in a fancy pan, but in reality you’re getting a whole lot of tomatoes, peppers and eggs slow-cooked to juicy, fluffy perfection. The veggies are really what make this a standout dish, giving the eggs a saucy kick reminiscent of shakshouka or even huevos rancheros. It is much more rich and tomatoey in flavour and served hot with bread. Dip it, spread it, or spoon it up.
- Helleim Peyniri Kizartma|30 AED| – Grilled and butter fried Turkish Halloumi cheese.
- Soslu Kizartma |30 AED| – Deep Fried home-made organic vegetables selection accompanid by deep fried homemade golden potatoes, served with tomato sauce.
- Sogus |20 AED| – Cucumbers, tomatoes and peppers in olive oil sauce.
- Zeytin Tabagi |25 AED| – 2 types of Turkish olives with herbs in olive oil sauce.
From the oven artisan,
Kusbasili Pide |68 AED| & Peynirli Ispanakli |50 AED|- Often called “Turkish Pizza,” Pide (3 foot long) is a boat-shaped flatbread served with a variety of toppings; we tried the one topped with hand chopped tender lamb meat cubes, infused by tomatoes and capsicum and the other one topped with various Turkish cheese and spinach.
From the Pastry Artisan,
- Pasa Kadayif |75 AED| – Can’t stop obsessing over this rich, decadent & heavenly Turkish delight of thin strands of shredded phyllo dough filled with crushed pistachio, baked in a copper pan until crispy, served with goat milk ice cream. This dessert is highly recommended.
View this post on Instagram
Pasa Kadayif – Can't stop obsessing over this rich, decadent & heavenly Turkish delight of thin strands of shredded phyllo dough filled with crushed pistachio, baked in a copper pan until crispy, served with goat milk ice cream 😻This dessert is highly recommended ✅ @kaftanrestaurant #Dxbmuncher
- Simit Katmer – circular phyllo dough rolled with Turkish Pistachios on all layers, filled with homemade cream and pistachio spread. A signature selection of Antep city of South East. This dessert was rich, scrumptious and simply lip-smacking, served warm.
To end our appetizing feast the famous Newby Single flowering teas were served. Lychee & Milky Flowering Tea – Smooth, creamy green tea with a colorful bouquet of chrysanthemum and amaranth flower. Award winning luxury tea brand @Newbyteas has been the talk of town. These Flowering teas are hand-made by skilled artisans, using the high quality, long leaves of tippy green tea and flowers. When steeped in hot water, each blossom of flowering tea magically unfurls into a stunning floral display. Get your hands on a touch of affordable luxury.
View this post on Instagram
Milky Flowering Tea – Smooth, creamy green tea with a colourful bouquet of chrysanthemum and amaranth flower 🌸 Award winning luxury tea brand @Newbyteas has been the talk of town. These Flowering teas are hand-made by skilled artisans, using the high quality, long leaves of tippy green tea and flowers. When steeped in hot water, each blossom of flowering tea magically unfurls into a stunning floral display. Get your hands on a touch of affordable luxury✨ @kaftanrestaurant #DXBMuncher
The ambiance was family friendly. Keeping the family dining tradition in mind, Kaftan has kept their restaurant kids friendly, they don’t allow smoking in their indoors or outdoor seating area!!! The staff was prompt and their service was impeccable. Everything was served fresh and hot.
HIGHLIGHTS – The breakfast is being served daily till 6pm so you have no excuse to miss this heavenly indulgent breakfast dishes. They have Wi-Fi, outdoor seating arrangements, home delivery, free valet parking and much more. They are well known for their Kunafa, Mezze, Lentil Soup, Adana Kebab, Iskander Kebab, Turkish Tea and Turkish Breakfast.
Address: Opposite Jumeirah Beach Hotel, Jumeirah, Umm Suqeim, Dubai
For more details & info regarding the place or to see the menu options visit ZOMATO. Your booking is just a click away! Make your reservations at ZOMATO as they made your hassle free bookings much easier. Feel free to order these Turkish delicacies by ordering on zomato in 3 simple steps. Click on the link below!!